Every day in September, I’ve published a daily Project Management tip of the day on Twitter. Here’s a summary of all of them. Did you find them useful? Please let me know below.
- Before rushing into a solution, take some time to think about the problem that you’re trying to solve.
- It’s the weekend; keep it sacred! No project-related work today and instead focus on what you’ll do great next week!
- Make a list of what you want to accomplish tomorrow, today. I never start my day without knowing what I want to do in the first.
- Tell a team member what they’ve done well today. Show them that you notice their hard work!
- Analyse the stakeholders in your projects – are they still relevant?
- Get together with your team today and spend at least 5 minutes not talking about work
- Know your limitations as a PM & use it to your advantage to either personally develop or to know where you need support.
- Don’t get bogged down in the details & try to keep that high-level overview that you’ll need for reporting to your key stakeholders
- Know your tools! Make sure that you’re clued up on the tools that you’re using &any shortcuts/hacks that could make your life easier
- Invest in yourself! Have you been making sure that you’re keeping up to date and relevant on the latest PM topics?
- If you can do the task in under 5 minutes, do it straight away! It’ll take you longer to note it down and remember what it’s about if you leave it
- What makes your stakeholders tick? Do you know what they need and what they expect?
- Do you know what you need to do to get the best from your team? Spend today trying to learn what you can do
- Expectation management is key in the success of any project. Are you doing that with every communication?
- Would you benefit from a mentor? If you’re a PMI chapter member; contact your chapter to see if they offer a mentoring program
- Are you giving your team the respect they deserve? Check yourself and your behaviour and see the difference!
- When was the last time you did a Risk analysis? Do you reassess it regularly and update it? Spend today checking that out!
- Look at your priorities. Are you focusing on the sand or the pebbles? (http://tiny.cc/0kvdny)
- Streamline your communications. Are you wasting time in meetings when you could be better getting the work done? Keep your meeting to a maximum of 30 minutes or implement standing meetings to keep things flowing
- Do a health check on your project to see if you’re still on track with your agreed goals
- Switch things up! Are you sitting with your team? If you’re not, move into their room and spend the day working there
- Be more effective & efficient! Look at what needs to be done & where the value lies. Re-evaluate if it’s not adding value to your project
- When was your last had a teambuilding event? They don’t have to be expensive to be effective! Haven’t had one recently? Get on it!
- Don’t skip steps! Implement and conduct your stage gates to verify your project status
- Look at your presentations & communications. Could the information that you’re delivering be presented better? Are you getting your message across?
- Look at some quick wins in your project. What are the low hanging fruit that you can achieve?
- What are you doing to make your working life easier? Are you using tools like: LastPass / OneNote? What other productivity tools do you use?
- Are you being SMART with your documentation/ communications. Check today that you’re not being too ambiguous with what you’re delivering
- Do you trust your team? If not, why not? Trust in a project is needed to ensure project success
- Look at what your team values to know the best way to motivate them.